Placentophagia is the process of a new mother consuming her placenta postpartum by either eating the placenta raw in smoothies or in capsule form. This is not an issue for vegan mothers because nothing was harmed to bring about the organ meat for consumption. The encapsulation process involves cleaning the placenta, steaming or dehydrating it from raw, grinding into a powder and putting into capsules to take during the first few weeks postpartum.
Benefits of Placenta Encapsulation
- Preventing and lessening the risk of postpartum depression or ‘baby blues’
- Replenishing your iron from blood loss during birth and to prevent postpartum anemia
- Lending you a consistent flow of oxytocin long after your birth euphoria ends
- Providing the HPL hormone to help establish early and healthy milk supply
- To stabilize your ever changing hormones post birth
- To replenish your B vitamins and energy that were used during the labor and birthing process
- Offers natural pain relief from the labor and birth of the baby
Hormones Found in the Placenta
- Oxytocin: The feel good or love hormone. Creates feelings of bonding, pain relief, happiness and elation
- Cortisone: This hormone unlocks energy stored in the body and combats stress (cortisol)
- Interferon: This hormone stimulates the immune system to fight off infections while the mother is healing from birth
- Prostaglandins: Acts as an anti-inflammatory
- Hemoglobin: Replenishes iron, stimulates iron production in blood
- Urokinase inhibiting factor and factor XIII: Lessens bleeding and promotes faster healing
- Prolactin/HPL: Stimulates healthy mammary function and milk production
Raw: Raw food activists believe that steaming or heating the placenta destroys some of the nutrients. Using the Raw Foods Method creates a very nutrient and hormone dense capsule and you will also get a higher yield. The placenta is dehydrated at 118 degrees before put into capsules. If you have a history of anxiety, the jitters, insomnia or bipolar tendencies, Raw Food Method capsules are not recommended.
Heated: The heated method involves steaming the placenta gently by itself or with ginger before it’s dehydrated at a temperature of 160 degrees. Putting ginger in with the placenta adds a warming aspect. Heating the placenta with ginger encourages the uterus to involve and seal, blood to flow to the areas of the body that need healed and Qi to replenish. The heated method also ensures that all potential bacteria is killed off before the encapsulation process begins.
Placenta Tincture: $25
A placenta tincture is where a small piece of placenta is soaked in 100 proof alcohol to ferment for 6-8 weeks in order to create a medicinal concoction. The tincture has an almost indefinite shelf life if stored properly and can be used years down the road for hormone stabilization and energy. It is a great option to help with menopausal symptoms later in life, menstrual symptoms, relieve stress and to help boost a positive mood.
Placenta Print: $25
A one of a kind custom print of your placenta. This is an excellent way to have a keepsake that honors the true form and beauty behind the organ that facilitated life for your growing baby in utero.
Cord Keepsake: complimentary upon request
Strawberry flavored capsules now available!
***a travel fee of up to $75 applies to mothers delivering on the Southside or in Richmond. Amount/location is under my discretion***
Thank you for your interest in our placenta encapsulation services!
My husband, Matthew Curtis is a professionally trained placenta encapsulation specialist. We offer encapsulation services for those local to Hampton Roads (Williamsburg, Yorktown, Gloucester, Newport News, Poquoson, Hampton, Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, Suffolk and Portsmouth).
He holds a current blood borne pathogen certification, a current food handlers card, and upholds the highest safety/sanitation standards. We believe the placenta is an incredible organ that provides numerous benefits to the postpartum mother. It is our goal to ensure that your placenta is treated with the utmost care and respect.